Saint Ignatius Parish is a welcoming and inclusive Catholic community. A Jesuit parish, we are called to be companions of Jesus. We come together through Word and Sacrament to grow in our relationship with God and to find the inspiration, desire and strength to be men and women for others. We seek to find God in all things by deepening our faith, listening with discerning and joyful hearts, and actively serving the poor and suffering, all for the greater glory of God.
Our magnificent St. Ignatius Church is the legacy of a dynamic and continuous Jesuit presence in San Francisco from the City’s earliest days. The first St. Ignatius Church was a simple, wooden structure on Market Street between 4th and 5th Streets. It was dedicated in July 1855, only six years after the first Jesuit Fathers arrived in San Francisco from Italy.
The Parish Council consists of parishioners who advise, assist and support the Pastor in defining a vision for St. Ignatius Parish and in articulating that vision to the parish community. The Council coordinates five working Commissions whose functions are outlined below. All parish organizations and activities are included within one of these Commissions